D7742: KDevelop projects : make use of KDirWatch optional

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Sep 9 12:18:40 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   Yeah, I agree about the checkbox, but what about it's default value?
  >   If it's enabled than an user will experience freezes until he finds out the checkbox and disables it.
  >   If it's disabled than most users should manually enable it on most projects.
  >   I think we should determine the default based on that option...

  True. But if we find a good way to expose this kind of choice during the project creation step the default can simply be ON (at least when KDirWatch works). The widget in the project creation wizard would reflect the session default and have a sufficient explanation.

  I think it's safe to say most users will rarely if ever experience UI freezing or anything of the sort, or else there would have been bug reports about it. We should ask ourselves how to guide users (who don't RTFM ;)) to the option; I think that anyone who's seen its interest once will remember.
  To put this into context: I had to run into a session that took over 15 minutes before I had succeeded in closing the project I wasn't interested in before I sat down to look into what was causing this. I'd hope most other projects will freeze and/or burn CPU less long.

  It's almost a pity (in this light) that the welcome page has gone, but maybe someone could think of a not-too-intrusive tip-of-the-day feature, or just a first-run tutorial that highlights the useful features including those one doesn't need everyday.

  >   100 000 files is not a default, I have increased it
  >   the default should be around 1000 if I am right

  It's set to the same value on my end, and I'm pretty sure I never touched it.

  As to watchman: I think that's a different discussion, to be taken up on frameworks-devel. But ultimately someone should figure out why KDirWatch apparently doesn't work properly on Mac. It's just never been high enough on my bucketlist.

  Another point I could (should?) raise there is the possibility to invoke QApplication::processEvents() during a deep recursive KDirWatch::addDir().

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D7742