D7742: KDevelop projects : make use of KDirWatch optional

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Sep 9 09:14:47 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  Ah, OK.

  I don't think that's feasible here. Dir watching is set up with a single call to KDirWatch::addDir() in an abstract (base) class. Even if we have access to the minimum project size parameter from within AbstractFileManagerPlugin::import() we'd have to translate that value to a relevant criterium. One that translates this "number of files in the project" value to an estimate of how expensive dir watching will be on all supported platforms.

  No, I really think that ultimately it's the user who is to make the call of what is an acceptable cost for keeping the project view in sync with what's on disc. IMHO that applies even to decisions like "don't watch dirs when the project is hosted on NAS". The risk is that you invest in an intricate, clever scheme to set a sensible default and still find some users aren't happy with it.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D7742