minimum required CMake version for 5.2 and master

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Tue Sep 5 13:53:41 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 5 September 2017 15:41:12 CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm slowly preparing my build/packaging scripts for the transition to 5.2
> when it hits beta and took a quick look at the CMake file in the 5.2
> branch.
>
> I expect that this branch will use CMake's server feature, which I think
> requires a newer CMake version than 3.0 if you want it to work correctly,
> no?

Heya,

KDevelop should work fine with older CMake (right, Aleix?). If not, please
report a bug.

> If so, why not require that as a minimum version in the CMake file, to
> prevent bad surprises and misunderstandings later on?

That check would be done at the wrong time -- during configure time, which
doesn't even need to happen on the end user's machine.

The end user potentially can use a completely different (maybe self-installed)
CMake binary.

Regards,
Kevin