minimum required CMake version for 5.2 and master

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 14:24:55 UTC 2017

On Tuesday September 05 2017 15:53:41 Kevin Funk wrote:

> KDevelop should work fine with older CMake (right, Aleix?). If not, please
> report a bug.

Already did quite a while back when I first stumbled upon the server feature in the master branch and it turned out not to work with the way I work because of issues in CMake. I forget the details, but the verdict back then was basically "wait until at least CMake 3.8".

> That check would be done at the wrong time -- during configure time, which
> doesn't even need to happen on the end user's machine.
>
> The end user potentially can use a completely different (maybe self-installed)
> CMake binary.

Of course, but is that really a problem? It's not like CMake has a load of dependencies which make it non trivial or is otherwise expensive to keep up to date - and keeping it up to date is probably a good idea.

This isn't unlike checking runtime dependencies against a minimal supported version, it's not uncommon to do that in the buildsystem, no?

R.