Merging repositories

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Mon Jul 31 12:40:39 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 29 July 2017 10:50:58 CEST Francis Herne wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 17:32:59 +0200
>
> Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> > Dear KDevelopers,
> > During the BoF we were discussing whether it would make sense to merge
> > kdev-python and kdev-php like we did with kdev-clang and kdev-qmljs.
> >
> > Furthermore, we discussed whether it would make sense to merge
> > kdevplatform into kdevelop because:
> > - nobody is using the abstraction
> > - will definitely simplify the steps to take by new contributors
> >
> > Thoughts?
> > Aleix
>
> I'm in favour of merging everything -- Plasmate is dead, and there's no
> real prospect of another kdevplatform-based IDE.
>
> w.r.t. kdev-python, I've been around less than a year and I've already
> seen more than one distro break the kdevelop<->kdev-python version
> dependency, and several users complaining about missing Python support
> (because they didn't install the package).

That should be fixed inside KDevelop: if the background parser attempts to
parse a file it has no language support for and it's known that this
particular file extension *should* have language support, then we can simply
show an unobtrusive (passive) popup asking the user whether he/she wants to
install e.g. kdev-python.

Afaik we have code somewhere in KF5 which provides these kind of popups in a
distro-agnostic way. Note this is relevant for Linux only, on all other
platforms (Windows/macOS/AppImage) we provide the whole bundle anyway.

> The only large extra dependency is Python itself, which is on every
> recent distro anyway.

Not necessarily the version kdev-python requires though, right?

> The very narrow version requirement might have
> been a problem, but we fixed that.

> Windows I don't know, but the
> appimage has kdev-python already.

Note: We ship the Python libraries on Windows inside the installer.

> My only concern was that a larger, scarier, slower-to-build codebase
> might put off new contributors. But in practice you end up needing to
> build kdevplatform master soon in any case.

Yes, I don't think the "slower-to-build codebase" matters for the kdevplatform
& kdevelop merge. KDevelop & KDevPlatform are coupled too closely anyway; we
regularly break (or rather, have to break) KDevelop/KDevplatform compat
anyway.

Merging other language plugins into kdevelop.git will indeed make it slower to
build though; and it's something we can avoid.

Regards,
Kevin