Merging repositories

Francis Herne mail at flherne.uk
Sat Jul 29 08:50:58 UTC 2017

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 17:32:59 +0200
Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Dear KDevelopers,
> During the BoF we were discussing whether it would make sense to merge
> kdev-python and kdev-php like we did with kdev-clang and kdev-qmljs.
>
> Furthermore, we discussed whether it would make sense to merge
> kdevplatform into kdevelop because:
> - nobody is using the abstraction
> - will definitely simplify the steps to take by new contributors
>
> Thoughts?
> Aleix

I'm in favour of merging everything -- Plasmate is dead, and there's no
real prospect of another kdevplatform-based IDE.

w.r.t. kdev-python, I've been around less than a year and I've already
seen more than one distro break the kdevelop<->kdev-python version
dependency, and several users complaining about missing Python support
(because they didn't install the package).

The only large extra dependency is Python itself, which is on every
recent distro anyway. The very narrow version requirement might have
been a problem, but we fixed that. Windows I don't know, but the
appimage has kdev-python already.

My only concern was that a larger, scarier, slower-to-build codebase
might put off new contributors. But in practice you end up needing to
build kdevplatform master soon in any case.

-Francis