Phabricator: All repositories registered - upcoming workflow changes

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Feb 3 23:23:45 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 11:37 PM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday February 2 2017 21:50:38 Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
>
>>You missed the point. This "bit rot" is not about disk damage but
>>about software incompatibility. ZFS doesn't help with that...
>
> You mean diffs that no longer apply cleanly? In that case you missed our point. Being able to consult intermediate versions of diffs, abandoned diffs etc. is not to be able to apply them "as is". If there were no value in the kind of code those diffs (can) contain we'd not be using git or git wouldn't be preserving every single bit of history.

Rene, we aren't talking about diffs here. Not even close.

What we are talking about is things like silent data corruption caused
by upgrade edge cases, database encoding changes and data storage
format changes. Not to mention changes in the software stack itself,
and our long term ability to keep it running.

> Oh well. This is just another expression of FOSS's biggest weakness. Every project has this centre-of-the-universe tendency that apparently justifies breaking things for large parts of the user base whenever the project feels it's justified.

I'm not even going to respond to that.

Regards,
Ben