kdevelop 5 documentation

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Fri Aug 18 07:02:39 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 00:20:36 CEST Francis Herne wrote:
> On Monday, 14 August 2017 22:03:19 BST Panagiotis Follas wrote:
> > Hello, my name is Panagiotis.
> > And I would like to help the Kdevelop team with the documentation. But my
> > first question is how to start contributing in the kde documentation page.
> > Is there a structure? Should I follow the kdevelop 4 manual?
> > And I am not familiar with some of the functionality of the kdevelop 5 so
> > should I ask here any help ?
> >
> > cheers,
> > Panagiotis
>
> (based on an IRC conversation)
>
> Currently there are two very-similar versions of the documentation:
>  - On the UserBase wiki:
>      https://userbase.kde.org/KDevelop4
>  - The docbook format in the source tree:
>     https://cgit.kde.org/kdevelop.git/tree/doc/kdevelop
>
> The docbook was generated from the wiki pages, but has been edited a few
> times since then.
>
> I think the best option is to update the wiki with all useful changes from
> the docbook version, then use it as the primary version and regenerate the
> docbook as needed.
>
>  - The wiki is the most publically-visible version (thanks to Google).
>  - There's a tool to convert wiki->docbook, but not afaik in the other
> direction.
>  - The wiki is much easier to edit, whereas the XML-and-git-commits process
> for docbook updates will scare off non-coders or casual contributors.

Thanks a lot for helping out here Francis. Any help on the documentation side
is be greatly appreciated. I didn't even know the relation between wiki &
docbook, and how they are synced.

@Panagiotis: If you want to help out, please start by fixing wiki pages.
There's lots of work to be done. If you need pointers, I'd start by updating &
simplifying the HowToCompile_v5 wiki page: kdevplatform got merged into
kdevelop, thus building of KDevelop got much easier.

If you need help, please just join #kdevelop and we can talk.

Thanks a lot!