[GSoC 2015] C++ refactoring

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Mar 23 00:53:19 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:29 AM, Maciej Poleski
<d82ks8djf82msd83hf8sc02lqb5gh5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've written preliminary proposal of adding refactoring features to KDevelop:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/public/google/gsoc2015/maciej_poleski/5629499534213120
> and want to hear some feedback. (this timeline scares me a bit :) )
>
> I think about routing all accesses to source code inside KDevelop through
> clang::FileManager. This object is required for libTooling and looks like
> there is no way to customize file-access method (or use vfs::FileSystem?). We
> may have more than one source of alterations in file: user and tool. If we
> allow two separate caches for them, we may expect data races here.
>
> Is dynamic population of context-menu good idea in terms of GUI latency? It
> would be nice to have listed only refactorings applicable for current
> selection/position instead of all implemented, but the question is if making
> such population will not decrease GUI responsiveness too much.
>
> Best Regards
> Maciej Poleski

I like the proposal. You know what you want to achieve and why. That's good.

Things:
- GSoC finishes the 24th of August!
- Tests are part of the development, you won't spend time afterwards
testing. Feel free to introduce a time slot in the beginning to set up
a testing infrastructure though.
- I would cut on the complex and probably less useful operations. I
would concentrate on those where you can give a clear use-case and
polish the use-case.

HTH,
Aleix