KDevelop 4.7 and 5.x co-existence in the same prefix?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sun Dec 20 15:57:44 UTC 2015

On Sonntag, 20. Dezember 2015 11:20:23 CET René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Morning!
>
> A hopefully quick question from a packager. If possible I'd like to give
> users (of MacPorts) the option to keep KDevelop 4.7 installed when they
> install v 5.x  . MacPorts installs the actual applications (skeleton app
> bundles) in dedicated KDE4 and KF5 folders under /Applications/MacPorts, so
> for instance a concurrent install of Kate4 and Kate5 was possible with only
> minimal tweaking of a few details. On the other end of the scale there is
> Kompare and, worse, Akonadi/KDEPIM (runtime clashes at the DBus level).
>
> What can I expect with KDevelop in this aspect? I have already run KDevelop
> 4.7 and 4.90.90 (from April 2015) at the same time and even exchanged
> projects between them so it appears there are no runtime incompatibilities
> as long as the versions do not share the exact same prefix. What if they
> do?

Hell may break loose.

It's not tested and I don't want to spent time on making it behave nicely. But
in principle we do use different SO versions and 5.x has a much better plugin
to ABI incompatibilities.

You can still get issues with backwards-incompatible changes to config files
(afaik that happened at least in the language/compiler settings), as well as
cache ping-pong effects when both write to the same kdevduchain folder.

Again: I don't suggest you waste time on this.

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de