KDevelop 4.7 and 5.x co-existence in the same prefix?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 17:58:12 UTC 2015

On Sunday December 20 2015 16:57:44 Milian Wolff wrote:

> Hell may break loose.

Good, I'll try to test this on xmas day then :)

> It's not tested and I don't want to spent time on making it behave nicely. But

I'm not expecting that. AFAIC, "behaving nicely" can just mean that the 2 versions ignore each other perfectly.

> You can still get issues with backwards-incompatible changes to config files
> (afaik that happened at least in the language/compiler settings)

Curious, I don't see anything KDevelop related in ~/.config or ~/.local/share; does KDevelop5 continue to use ~/.kde/share then?

> Again: I don't suggest you waste time on this.

I'd hope not to be wasting time indeed, but as long as I'm not confident that I get an equal or better experience out of KDevelop5 (or rather, any KF5 application) I have nothing against spending a reasonable amount of time on packaging them so they can co-exist.
Different SO versions can still lead to clashes when the library name hasn't changed, and of course there is the potential issue of headerfiles being picked up from the wrong version which can lead to very challenging issues if there's not enough difference to trigger compilation errors.

I've already seen 2 client libraries that dropped the part of the cmake code handling the INCLUDE_INSTALL_DIR variable that exports the actual location through the Find*.cmake scripts. Not sure why they'd have done that, and I hope it hasn't yet become a wide-spread habit.

Cheers,
R.