[GSOC-2014] Newbie mode!

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sun Mar 2 23:46:42 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Manasij Mukherjee <manasij7479 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I'm a student looking forward to participate in Google's Summer of Code
> this year.
> I have used kdevelop for a long time and it'll be great to contribute to
> something I regularly use.
> The title "Newbie mode" is a catchy one, by let me explain the idea in
> detail.
> A feature in kdevelop I like is the support for external scripts.
> I use the quick compile script when not working on a project and just need
> to test out a snippet. (for example, code copied from a pastebin link.)
> I want this to be more integrated into the IDE.
> (Consider things like clickable options to enable C++11, add libraries,
> configure warnings, etc)
>
> Another feature that may be possible is more static analysis.
> (I'm not sure how well clang works with kdevelop now, but I've seen
> screenshots of  xcode providing great hints)
> However this may be beyond my scope for now.
> But I promise to try working on it if the original idea succeeds.
>

> I want to know if it is feasible and whether anyone wants to mentor me
> with this.
> (As for my skill level, I am well versed in standard C++ but will need
> some help with Qt.
> Here is a link to my github profile:
> https://github.com/manasij7479/  )
> Manasij Mukherjee

Hi Manasij,
I like that you're considering KDE and KDevelop as your summer stage. I'd
recommend you to mature more your idea. I'm not very fond of having
features targeting newbies, I would prefer simplify spots on the IDE
overall than dumbing down some of it.

Maybe a question to ask yourself is why is it needed at all to use this at
all. Maybe it should be easier to create a new project? What would you fix
in the process?

Aleix