[GSOC-2014] Newbie mode!

Manasij Mukherjee manasij7479 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 01:28:36 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Maybe a question to ask yourself is why is it needed at all to use this at
> all. Maybe it should be easier to create a new project? What would you fix
> in the process?
>
> Aleix

Well, the first time I used kdevelop or eclipse-cdt or any large IDE, it
seemed counter-intuitive that when I'm not working on something which has
elaborate makefiles, it was rather difficult to just open a .cpp file,
build and run it.
I can't imagine any conflict with build systems to allow this.

Creating a new project is what I originally had in mind.
I will try to come up with some working code within this year and link it
here as proof of concept.
Would it be feasible to use some components that make kdevelop for this?
(..say kdevplatform ?)

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 5:29 AM, Sven Brauch <svenbrauch at googlemail.com>wrote:

> This sounds a bit like you want to build a GUI-driven build system;
> something KDevelop does explicitly not do currently.

Why?

> Maybe the aim you want to achieve -- making it easier for new users to do
> simple things regarding the build system -- could better be achieved by
> integrating related features into cmake support?

Yes, that's what I had in mind.
(Generating plain Makefiles actually, but close enough)