plasmate and kdevelop coming closer?

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Jun 25 15:19:06 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <
giorgos.tsiapaliokas at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 03:41:17 PM Aleix Pol wrote:
> > as much as possible from KDevelop and see what is that you don't like.
>
> yes this is what I am doing right now.
>
> On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 03:45:59 PM Sven Brauch wrote:
> > So what I would intuitively expect for plasmate is that you'd rebuild it
> on
> > top of KDevPlatform, and then ship with the plugins which make sense for
> you
> > only (e.g. QML/JS, Qt documentation, QuickOpen). KDevelop wouldn't be
> > involved at all here, since you don't need most of the things from there.
> >
> > Is that what you had in mind?
>
> yes
>

> Because I wasn't very clear, also plasmate is called the repository which
> will
> contain the plasmate IDE and the kdevplatform plugins, which used to be
> inside the plasmate IDE and they will become plugins, so kdevelop could use
> them. My suggestion(which wasn't very clear indeed) is to move some of
> them to
> kdevplatform repository once they are ready and they have been reviewed.
> For
> instance one of them could be a notes plugin
> which as the name says :) the user keeps notes for his project.
> The question is, would you like to see stuff like that moving to the
> kdevplatform repository? I could prepare a list with those and discuss
> further
> on a more suitable thread.
>
> thanks,
> Giorgos
>
> P.S.: Also FYI my gsoc takes place in this[1] personal clone in the branch
> "terietor/gsoc/2014"
>
> [1]
> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Fplasmate%2Ftsiapaliwkas%2Fplasmate-kdevplatform.git
>
> --
> Giorgos Tsiapaliokas
>
> terietor.org

In general we only put implicitly generic stuff in kdevplatform and so far
we've put more specific plugins, mostly related to C++ development in
KDevelop.

A question we could discuss is whether Plasmate will depend on KDevelop.
For example, QtHelp plugin is in KDevelop.
I wouldn't mind having KDE/Plasma specific plugins in KDevelop. In fact we
already have some. I would like to make sure they make sense without
Plasmate though, there's where I'd draw the line.

Aleix