plasmate and kdevelop coming closer?

Sven Brauch svenbrauch at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 25 13:45:59 UTC 2014

Hi!

First of all, I'm very happy somebody is finally attempting to do this! It
always seemed like a good idea ;)

I didn't fully understand your plan, though. The KDevelop project consists of
two parts: KDevPlatform, which provides basically an empty main window and
libraries to write plugins with; and KDevelop, which is an IDE based on
KDevPlatform focussing on C++ development. Then there are various plugins
which live in their own repositories (e.g. PHP, Python, QML/JS) which provide
support for a particular language and are usually used with KDevelop (but
could also be loaded in a different IDE based on KDevPlatform).

So what I would intuitively expect for plasmate is that you'd rebuild it on
top of KDevPlatform, and then ship with the plugins which make sense for you
only (e.g. QML/JS, Qt documentation, QuickOpen). KDevelop wouldn't be involved
at all here, since you don't need most of the things from there.

Is that what you had in mind?

Best regards,
Sven