Contributing to KDevelop project...

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Fri Feb 21 10:57:18 UTC 2014

Am Donnerstag, 20. Februar 2014, 23:12:36 schrieb Milian Wolff:
> On Thursday 20 February 2014 22:24:37 Radek Taciński wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hey Radek! See the bottom of this mail for a response.
>
> > I would like to contribute to the KDevelop project - supporting it on
> > Windows could be a good start...
> > That would be my first open-source project contribution, so I may not be
> > familiar with all the stuff I probably should know about...
> >
> > Let me introduce myself: I'm 33, I live in Poland and I have 7+ years
> > professional experience in C++ (+ 2 years of C#.NET before that), recently
> > (for couple years) more focused on project management, although I still am
> > involved in creating new code as well as find & fix bugs.
> > I would like to contribute to this project - mainly to "stop working at
> > home" after hours :)
> >
> > And it would be a good experience for me also...
> >
> > If you think I could help in development of KDevelop - please, let me
> > know...
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Radek
> >

> > PS - I could not find an email to send this message to, somehow I did not
> > want to spam the entire development list...
>
> But that would have been the proper address :) I'm forwarding this email
> there now, please register to the mailing list and direct further mails
> there.
>
> If you have windows knowledge and want to get KDevelop up and running there
> this would be an awesome contribution! We are waiting for people to step up
> on that platform for years. Kevin Funk (also registered on this list)
> recently played with KDevelop on Windows. He should be able to give some
> input.
>
> Furthermore, we are in the process of porting the codebase to KF5 (KDE
> Frameworks 5), which promises a much more modular foundation for us to build
> on. We are not there yet, but maybe it would make sense to put any windows
> effort there? The other developers who work on that should give you some
> input on this matter.
>
> Cheers, and welcome :)

Hey Radek,

Good to hear some Windows guy wants to push KDevelop on Windows a bit.

I tackled some of the root issues for getting KDevelop to run on Windows
recently, but there are still issues to be resolved before we could mark it as
'stable'. Unfortunately I'm lacking time to push this on continuously, so any
help in this regard is very welcome.

If you want to get started getting up a development environment for KDE on
Windows, please conduct
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Windows/emerge.
'emerge' is basically the package manager used on Windows to build
KDE/Qt/whatever sources and to install binaries.
Doing a 'emerge kdevelop' eventually then spits out a 'kdevelop.exe' binary
which you can just run there. (Fingers crossed, a lot can go wrong when
building all the dependencies for KDevelop and KDE resp.)

Currently I'd consider KF5 not stable enough on Windows to play around with
KDevelop, so I suggest trying it out under KDE4. There are some issues you can
fix there right away, and it would still help us when porting KDevelop to KF5
on Windows at some point.

If you need guidance, feel free to contact me on #kdevelop on Freenode, my
nick name is 'kfunk'.

I even have a junior-job for KDevelop on Windows for you already ;)

The issue: KDevelop shows navigation tooltips when hovering declarations
(variables, functions, etc.) in source code. These are basically HTML-like
popups where you can click on links to jump to files, etc. This is currently
broken on Windows (clicks are basically ignored), and it would be a good start
to find out what's going on there.

Cheers!

--
Kevin Funk