Contributing to KDevelop project...

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Fri Feb 21 11:16:12 UTC 2014

Am Freitag, 21. Februar 2014, 11:57:18 schrieb Kevin Funk:
> Am Donnerstag, 20. Februar 2014, 23:12:36 schrieb Milian Wolff:
> > On Thursday 20 February 2014 22:24:37 Radek Taciński wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > Hey Radek! See the bottom of this mail for a response.
> >
> > > I would like to contribute to the KDevelop project - supporting it on
> > > Windows could be a good start...
> > > That would be my first open-source project contribution, so I may not be
> > > familiar with all the stuff I probably should know about...
> > >
> > > Let me introduce myself: I'm 33, I live in Poland and I have 7+ years
> > > professional experience in C++ (+ 2 years of C#.NET before that),
> > > recently
> > > (for couple years) more focused on project management, although I still
> > > am
> > > involved in creating new code as well as find & fix bugs.
> > > I would like to contribute to this project - mainly to "stop working at
> > > home" after hours :)
> > >
> > > And it would be a good experience for me also...
> > >
> > > If you think I could help in development of KDevelop - please, let me
> > > know...
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Radek
> > >

> > > PS - I could not find an email to send this message to, somehow I did
> > > not
> > > want to spam the entire development list...
> >
> > But that would have been the proper address :) I'm forwarding this email
> > there now, please register to the mailing list and direct further mails
> > there.
> >
> > If you have windows knowledge and want to get KDevelop up and running
> > there
> > this would be an awesome contribution! We are waiting for people to step
> > up
> > on that platform for years. Kevin Funk (also registered on this list)
> > recently played with KDevelop on Windows. He should be able to give some
> > input.
> >
> > Furthermore, we are in the process of porting the codebase to KF5 (KDE
> > Frameworks 5), which promises a much more modular foundation for us to
> > build on. We are not there yet, but maybe it would make sense to put any
> > windows effort there? The other developers who work on that should give
> > you some input on this matter.
> >
> > Cheers, and welcome :)
>
> Hey Radek,
>
> Good to hear some Windows guy wants to push KDevelop on Windows a bit.
>
> I tackled some of the root issues for getting KDevelop to run on Windows
> recently, but there are still issues to be resolved before we could mark it
> as 'stable'. Unfortunately I'm lacking time to push this on continuously,
> so any help in this regard is very welcome.
>
> If you want to get started getting up a development environment for KDE on
> Windows, please conduct
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Windows/emerge.
> 'emerge' is basically the package manager used on Windows to build
> KDE/Qt/whatever sources and to install binaries.
> [...]

Ah, and I forgot:

If you really want to build KDevelop on Windows, you'll need MSVC2012 (express
is fine) at the moment. Nothing else will work (MSVC2010 doesn't have C++11
support, Qt4 won't built using MSVC2013 (at least last time I checked).

MinGW GCC might work, too, but I never actually tested it. MinGW GCC also is
supposed to compile much slower than MSVC [1]. And MSVC of course offers a
fully-fledged IDE + debugger.

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8029092/gcc-worth-using-on-windows-to-replace-msvc

--
Kevin Funk