Clang

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri May 3 10:48:17 UTC 2013

On Friday 03 May 2013 19:06:49 Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Alexandre Courbot <gnurou at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's a bit messy, but syntax and error highlighting works, as well as
> > show uses (not all the time though). I wanted to advertise this on
> > this list for months but never took the time to arrange a short demo
> > video.
>
> Finally moved my ass and captured a video after porting the parser to 4.5.0:
>
> www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbZ_0r4eFfo
>
> This gives an idea of what works after ~600 lines of code. As for what
> doesn't yet, well, it's everything that is not shown in the video. But
> I hope it shows that CLang's parsing is way superior to anything else
> that exists, and that there is a lot to leverage in term of e.g.
> diagnostics. CLang even has "fix-it hints" that would integrate
> wonderfully into KDevelop's similar mechanism. Best of both worlds,
> support for C/C++/C++11, no need to maintain a parser, and finally
> less unjustified red lines in my kernel sources. ;)

The big problem afaik is includes and caching. Clang operates on compile units
whereas you can throw pretty much everything at KDevelop's parser and it
mostly does something thats kinda useful :)

Anyhow, I will work on this once I've finished this semester and have time
again.

Cheers

--
Milian Wolff