Project Filtering

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sun Jul 28 00:07:59 UTC 2013

On Sunday 28 July 2013 01:55:14 Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Saturday 27 July 2013 22:52:50 Andreas Pakulat wrote
<snip>
> > Unfortunately I still see the same behaviour after removing the old kcm. I
> > can't find a way to filter out a subdir or the contents of a subdir by
> > either specifying the directory (with or without trailing slash) or
> > directory name + /*.
>
> You don't have a leading slash, do you? I don't remember why I added that
> back then... Maybe to make it possible to disambiguate between something,
> but I can't remember what exactly.
>
> If that's still not it, please show me the output of "find" in a project
> folder and paste the contents of .kdev4/*.kdev4 [Filters] section.

Ah, I think it's required in order to write something like the following to
hide dot files:

*/.*

without the leading / we'd need two rules, one for the project root, and one
for the child folders:

.*
*/.*

Alternatives I see would be

a) regular expressions
b) improved UI which can say: only operate on files, folders, both

Imo, b) allows for many more useful features to be implemented. Such as

- optimizations (only operate on filename, not relative path)
- better usability (your issues shows that, but also stuff like "hide any
folder/file named X" should become much simpler)
- pattern syntax selection (the useful stuff of QRegExp::PatternSyntax)
- ...

So yeah, maybe we should just improve the dialog to improve this situation.

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de