Deprecated Code in SVN Plugin

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jul 19 16:53:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM, David Narvaez <david.narvaez at computer.org
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When compiling kdevplatform there are tons of warnings about
>> deprecated stuff from the subversion library. Is this because we are
>> trying to maintain compatibility with older versions or just because
>> nobody has taken the time to update the code? If it just needs
>> updating, I can take care of that.
>>
>> David E. Narvaez
>>

> Well, the svn plugin is deprecated altogether. It contains GPLv3+ code
> while the rest of kdev* is (l)gpl 2+.
> Actually some interesting work would be the investigation of alternatives
> to it, or at least some communication with rapidsvn to figure this problem
> out.

Having a license problem is certainly a lot different to deprecating some
kdev plugin.

You're right however the options are:

a) talk to the rapidsvn team (last time I checked the project was crawling
to death, but that was probably a year ago or so) to get a relicense happen
there
b) drop the rapidsvn code and directly work against the svn library, this
is significantly more code but we have control over this
c) move svn out so its a real third-party plugin, that makes kdevplatform
lgplv2+ again (source wise), that should also make packagers happy. It does
mean a disruption for the svn plugin users..

The warnings could be fixed by updating our rapidsvn copy to use more
recent libsvn-api, but I'd not use the latest one but rather one or two
feature releases older to make sure that its compilable on older distro
releases. That means deviating from rapidsvn upstream and hence would make
merging fixes from upstream harder, which I believe happened a couple of
times already to fix grave bugs.