Deprecated Code in SVN Plugin

Morten Volden mvolden2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 06:54:14 UTC 2013

fredag den 19. juli 2013 skrev Andreas Pakulat :

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM, David Narvaez <
>> david.narvaez at computer.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When compiling kdevplatform there are tons of warnings about
>>> deprecated stuff from the subversion library. Is this because we are
>>> trying to maintain compatibility with older versions or just because
>>> nobody has taken the time to update the code? If it just needs
>>> updating, I can take care of that.
>>>
>>> David E. Narvaez
>>>

>> Well, the svn plugin is deprecated altogether. It contains GPLv3+ code
>> while the rest of kdev* is (l)gpl 2+.
>> Actually some interesting work would be the investigation of alternatives
>> to it, or at least some communication with rapidsvn to figure this problem
>> out.
>>

> Having a license problem is certainly a lot different to deprecating some
> kdev plugin.
>
> You're right however the options are:
>
> a) talk to the rapidsvn team (last time I checked the project was crawling
> to death, but that was probably a year ago or so) to get a relicense happen
> there
> b) drop the rapidsvn code and directly work against the svn library, this
> is significantly more code but we have control over this
> c) move svn out so its a real third-party plugin, that makes kdevplatform
> lgplv2+ again (source wise), that should also make packagers happy. It does
> mean a disruption for the svn plugin users..
>
> The warnings could be fixed by updating our rapidsvn copy to use more
> recent libsvn-api, but I'd not use the latest one but rather one or two
> feature releases older to make sure that its compilable on older distro
> releases. That means deviating from rapidsvn upstream and hence would make
> merging fixes from upstream harder, which I believe happened a couple of
> times already to fix grave bugs.

Hi

I did a fix upstream some time ago to get rid of some of the warnings that
svncpp generates.

https://github.com/RapidSVN/RapidSVN/commit/11711c8b5125d400c89f8273962ffd913417d4e0#AUTHORS

As far as I can tell, the latest version of svncpp depends on subversion >
1.5, which I guess should be fine.
So +1 for updating our copy and get rid of the warnings.

/Morten

--
- When the split is pulled, mr. Grenade is no longer our friend