Kdevelop4 4.3 and 4.6 runs like a pig on AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+

Michael George Hart michael.george.hart at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 10:38:02 UTC 2013

I was fortunately enough to find Kdevelop 3.5.5 at

and install it onto that AMD XP 3200+ machine. I was very very happy it
performance very snappy. I will probably continue use that from my
development on the 32 bit LINUX hardware.

There is way too much going on under the hood of Kdevelop4 even with all
the background parsing, auto completions etc turnoff.... imagine even in
the editor waiting about half second between pushing the scroll down/up
button before you see the cursor move down/up the screen..

Something to note:
Kdevelop3 uses 0.3% of CPU with me performing no activity in it.
Kdevelop4 uses 11.4% of CPU with me performing no activity in it.

The reason is unknown... but it does point to the fact that all of us with
our big machines are becoming resources hogs and hardly aware of it until
we go back to one of these 32 bit machines limited to 1 GB of RAM.

--
*"...Hope is what makes us strong. It is why we are here. It is what we
fight with when all is lost..."*