why isn't kdevelop pedantic save

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon Mar 12 12:09:43 UTC 2012

On Monday 12 March 2012 11:46:39 Marcel Hellwig wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I try to become acquainted with kdevelop now but there are some major
> problems, one I will claim here.
> Why isn't kdevelop (and KDE too) pedantic save? I mean, it is a software
> for the whole world and it should be safe and for that imo a program has
> to compile with pedantic.

Can you give examples for errors that make it not compile? Why do you - as a
*user* of our software - even compile it with pedantic?

> But also without pedantic it gives a lot of warnings, e.g. unused
> variable. It is that hard to comment them out or to modify the signature
> of the method?

Have you ever worked on a big open source project? The code is written by many
different people and while it's easy in *some* cases to fix such warnings,
there are places where you cannot be sure whether this is actually a bug or
not. Hence you leave it as-is for now since it's just a warning.

> It would gain a better performance, because if you don't
> have to hand over a paramter you can save some bytes in stack and in
> heap too.

This is not true. Compilers are good enough to optimize these statements out,
if they are able to emit a warning for them.

> So. Would it be possible to programm a bit "better" (i dont want to
> blame anyone that he (or she) is a bad programmer, but it is not that
> fine......)

Being better is of course something we aim for. Patches welcome. I'd like to
enable warning-as-errors in KDevelop code base eventually, maybe even pedantic
warnings. But as usual, there are some far more pressing issues to resolve
first.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff