[GSoC] Reverse-debugging in KDevelop

Detlev Casanova detlev.casanova at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 10:14:47 UTC 2012

On Monday 05 March 2012 02:40:08 Artur Bać wrote:
> On 2012-03-05 02:29, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Detlev Casanova
> >
> > <detlev.casanova at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hey !
> >>
> >> Since some time now, GDB has support for reverse debugging (a.k.a.
> >> running
> >> your program in reverse order)
> >> I think that KDevelop should allow it's users to use that GDB feature.
> >>
> >> I don't have that much knowledge on how KDevelop works with a debugger
> >> and
> >> therefore, I'm not sure if this could fit in a GSoC.
> >>
> >> What do you think ?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Cheers !
> >
> > Well, as it's been discussed recently already, we'd like you to
> > demonstrate you know about the issue you're interested in solving and
> > that you can do it properly.

The aim of this e-mail was to get information on how you think that project
could fit in a GSoC, I don't have time to review the details now...

> > Feel free to join us here or in #kdevelop where we can help you and
> > discuss about it thoroughly.
>
> I think it should be realy simple to implement, as i think kdevelop
> dosn't realy know the direction it just gets next data after step or
> continue.
> I think without changing anything in kdevelop simply putting at gdb
> console direction change it should work, if I understand below reference
> manual properly but for convenience propably would be better to have a
> new 'toggle direction' toolbar item.

That's what I thought, it would be just adding a button and some interfacing
with gdb console, not enough for a GSoC.

> http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/news/reversible.html
>
> "set exec-direction (forward/reverse) -- Set direction of execution.
> All subsequent execution commands (continue, step, until etc.) will run
> the program being debugged in the selected direction."
>
> ..anyway it is interesting, I didnt know that it is possible ...

I'm glad i put it in a developper ear :)

Detlev Casanova.