[GSoC] Reverse-debugging in KDevelop

Artur Bać artur at ebasoft.com.pl
Mon Mar 5 01:40:08 UTC 2012

On 2012-03-05 02:29, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Detlev Casanova
> <detlev.casanova at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey !
>>
>> Since some time now, GDB has support for reverse debugging (a.k.a. running
>> your program in reverse order)
>> I think that KDevelop should allow it's users to use that GDB feature.
>>
>> I don't have that much knowledge on how KDevelop works with a debugger and
>> therefore, I'm not sure if this could fit in a GSoC.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Cheers !
> Well, as it's been discussed recently already, we'd like you to
> demonstrate you know about the issue you're interested in solving and
> that you can do it properly.
>
> Feel free to join us here or in #kdevelop where we can help you and
> discuss about it thoroughly.

I think it should be realy simple to implement, as i think kdevelop
dosn't realy know the direction it just gets next data after step or
continue.
I think without changing anything in kdevelop simply putting at gdb
console direction change it should work, if I understand below reference
manual properly but for convenience propably would be better to have a
new 'toggle direction' toolbar item.

http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/news/reversible.html

"set exec-direction (forward/reverse) -- Set direction of execution.
All subsequent execution commands (continue, step, until etc.) will run
the program being debugged in the selected direction."

..anyway it is interesting, I didnt know that it is possible ...