KDevelop 4.2.60 floods .xsession-errors file

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Jan 4 22:17:45 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 04 January 2012 21:50:26 Gerhard Stengel wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 3. Januar 2012, 11:47:41 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > On 03.01.12 00:36:27, Gerhard Stengel wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've observed a strange problem in KDevelop 4.2.60: When KDevelop parses
> > > a C++ project it writes lots of messages like
> > >
> > > kdevelop(4732)/kdevelop (cpp support)
> > > IncludePathComputer::computeBackground: Include-path was missing in
> > > list returned by build-manager, adding it now. file was:
> > > KUrl("file:///home/gerhard/src/kdevplatform/project/projectutils.cpp")
> > > missing path: "/home/gerhard/src/kdevplatform/build/project/"
> >
> > You can switch that off by disabling the corresponding debug area via
> > kdebugdialog.
>
> Thanks for this hint, I haven't known kdebugdialog so far. But in this case
> it wouldn't work, all debug output was disabled anyway.
> The offending line is no. 219 in
> KDevelop/languages/cpp/includepathcomputer.cpp. It's a kWarning() makro
> there. Maybe it's not possible to turn this off in kdebugdialog, whereas
> kDebug() is?
>
> Anyway, I don't see that this is such a serious thing to justify that it
> can't be turned off. It seems to be pretty normal. If I open the kdevelop
> project I get loads of these messages!
>
> If you have to open kdevelop from an xterm it's not so nice if stdout is
> flooded by these messages.
>
> I commented out this line and the problem is gone.
> Wouldn't it be better to replace kWarning() by kDebug(9007)?
>
> > > into my .xsession-errors file (This wasn't the case with 4.2.3, but so
> > > far it's no harm). However, after a while this stops and this message
> > >
> > > HistoryFile::add.seek: Das Argument ist ungültig
> >
> > Thats not from KDevelop's codebase, at least not part of kdevplatform or
> > kdevelop itself. So either comes from another external plugin or some
> > code we depend on. So you'll first have to find out where this comes
> > from exactly.
>
> True, I have to investigate where it comes from. The problem just seems to
> happen on my machine at work, but not at home.
> However, Kdevelop, namely the context browser clearly triggers the problem.
> As soon as I press the red cross to stop the parsing job, the flood stops
> immediately.

Are you using symlinks somewhere by any change? E.g. in your source/build dir
or anywhere "farther up" in the path? That could be the "issue", or rather a
known (to me) limitation of the checks that trigger this warning. If not, this
could be a "real" bug.

I agree that this should probably not be a kWarning, it's only targeted at
developers. Note that before this message was actually added to your files in
the "problems" tool view in KDevelop, which was even more strange (imo).

Anyhow, to "fix" it for you for now: kdebugdialog --fullmode and then disable
warning output for area 9007.

bye
--
Milian Wolff