GSOC 2012

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:07:18 UTC 2012

Am 17. Februar 2012 13:33 schrieb Miha Čančula <miha at noughmad.eu>:
> 2012/2/17 Henry Miller <hank at millerfarm.com>
>>
>> On Thursday 16 February 2012 12:14:24 Milian Wolff wrote:
>> Extract method refactoring for C++.  I want to highlight a section of
>> code,
>> select extract method, and have it turned into a new function (either
>> class
>> private, or in an anonymous namespace are the normal case, but sometimes
>> other
>> scopes are desirable).  You need to pass in any local variables as
>> parameters.
>>
>> Ideally before it does this, it would allow me to select constants within
>> the
>> code that could be passed in as well.  Probably not possible, in GSOC, but
>> the
>> ultimate ideal would be look through my class and find other functions
>> that
>> have the same logic that can not call the new function.  If there is time,
>> look at other IDEs and see what refactorings they offer and implement some
>> of
>> them as well.
>
> If I may make a suggestion, I would support things like that. For me the
> only thing missing are some refactoring tools. They exist to some degree
> (move to source, create accessors), but I'm sure that could be expanded. For
> example, creating and working with d-pointers could be made much simpler.
> Same for code generation, it should be easy to add a private class when
> creating a class, and add properties to the private class with public
> accessors.
>
> I'm sure there are more examples where code generation would be useful.
> Would anyone be willing to mentor for this?

I already once mentored such a project, but unfortunately the student
wasn't able to achieve any of the major goals within time, and
disappeared afterwards. I would only mentor such a project again if
the student would already have proven himself with significant patches
for the KDevelop C++ language support.