welcome page woes

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Apr 27 11:34:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 12:29, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
>>
>> On Friday 27 April 2012 11:50:08 Milian Wolff wrote:
>> > Hey Aleix,
>> >
>> > here some feedback (the other thread got too big already :P). Sorry I
>> > didn't
>> > have time to check this earlier...
>> >
>> > a) on ubuntu machines, one needs to install kdelibs5-experimental-dev
>> > otherwise kdeclarative.h is not found. Can we get a proper cmake check
>> > for
>> > that please and disable the welcome page otherwise?
>> >
>> > b) I get this error:
>> >
>> > Error loading component qrc:/code.qml:22 module
>> > "org.kde.plasma.components"
>> > is not installed
>> >
>> > Again, this should be detected somehow and the welcome page disabled
>> > otherwise. Right now I just see a "white screen of death" which is worse
>> > than the grey thingy before...
>> >
>> > These two things are *crucial* and must be fixed ASAP otherwise people
>> > with
>> > older KDELibs won't be able to compile KDev*, or if they can, it looks
>> > far
>> > worse than before.
>>
>> And Apaku just said: KDevelop now needs Qt 4.8 to be build, I bet this
>> crept
>> in with the welcomepage as well.
>

> I've fixed the Qt4.8 requirement already, but all the kde-components-qml
> stuff seems to require at least KDE 4.8, a pity
> for those of us running non-bleeding-edge machines.
>
> Andreas
>
> --

Ok, I added a FindKDeclarative and made it use the welcome page only
if that is present.

Regarding the lowering requirements of KDE 4.8 I think it's something
quite hard to do. I'd be interested in helping but we'd need proper
artwork to make a different set of components that look relatively ok.
Last time I tried I didn't succeed, the result was rather ugly and
people didn't really want it.

I'd say to reluctantly put up with the limitation of requiring KDE 4.8
for the welcome page.

Thanks for removing the Qt 4.8 requirement Andreas!
Aleix

PS: You'll still need 4.7.4 to have "import QtQuick 1.1"