welcome page woes

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Apr 27 11:40:44 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> Hey Aleix,
>
> here some feedback (the other thread got too big already :P). Sorry I didn't
> have time to check this earlier...
>
> a) on ubuntu machines, one needs to install kdelibs5-experimental-dev
> otherwise kdeclarative.h is not found. Can we get a proper cmake check for
> that please and disable the welcome page otherwise?
>
> b) I get this error:
>
> Error loading component qrc:/code.qml:22 module "org.kde.plasma.components" is
> not installed
>
> Again, this should be detected somehow and the welcome page disabled
> otherwise. Right now I just see a "white screen of death" which is worse than
> the grey thingy before...
>
> These two things are *crucial* and must be fixed ASAP otherwise people with
> older KDELibs won't be able to compile KDev*, or if they can, it looks far
> worse than before.
>
> c) why is the code in kdevelop? should this not be in kdevplatform (for quanta
> in the future e.g.)? Maybe making it a plugin would also make a) and b)
> simpler.
>
> More feedback once I can actually use it (i.e. if someone knows where to get
> the plasma components from on ubuntu 11.10 with kde 4.7.4).
>
> bye
> --
> Milian Wolff
> mail at milianw.de
> http://milianw.de
> --

The reason for being in KDevelop is that there's not that much thing
there and most of it depends on how we want the application to be used
which is fine for KDevelop but I understand that it won't be that
useful for other applications, say Quanta. So most QML files will have
to be rewritten anyway.

Also, to be honest, I thought Quanta was far from ready to the end
user so I figured out we check if there's anything we can share from
this later on.

In any case, if you're really interested in having it as a
KDevPlatform plugin, it's perfectly doable and it's something we can
discuss to do.

Aleix