Kdevelop for console application development - a few questions

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue Apr 24 13:55:14 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 24 April 2012 10:51:39 mail.aroessler at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello kdevelop developers,

Hey,

these are all valid concerns but this is not the right place to put them.
Rather make sure they are all represented by separate wish requests on bko.

And then, if you really want them, start hacking on our codebase to get things
into shape to your likings. I have to be frank: Otherwise these wishes won't
get implemented any time near imo.

Just a few comments inline below:

> We use kdevelop for developing C command line applications and in general it
> works great. However I have few questions and ideas how to improve the work
> experience for command line application development. First of all the
> terminal: the integrated terminal is not capable of accepting text input,

yes, the terminal interface of the konsole kpart does not offer us near enough
to make it useable for our use case (most importantly the detection and
navigation of errors/warnings in compiler output e.g.).

> this is no problem as we can select an alternative terminal application
> (like konsole) in the run configuration. The problem is, konsole returns no
> message that the application exited, if you know codeblocks, after the
> application has finished a message "press any key to close the window" is
> displayed.

just write yourself a little shell script that does that. this is not really
rocket science.

> Another thing that is not ideal is, that everytime the
> application is started, a new tab is opened, it would be better to use only
> a new tab if the previous started applications has not terminated yet (like
> it is in qt-creator).

I agree, I don't like our behavior either. A big difference though is that Qt-
creator shows the previous' run output in the same tab as well (i.e. scroll up
to see it).

Without that we would loose this information which can often be very useful.
I.e.: just getting rid of the multiple tabs is not enough, we need to
investigate how to improve the workflow while keeping it flexible enough.

> The next thing is the run configuration. Sometimes it
> is necessary to switch between different run configurations, this is
> possible via the application menu, however it would be better if that is
> possible either in an extra dock or in the project selection dock.

it should be improved somehow, somewhere - agreed. Open for suggestions and
patches or at least mockups. Some kind of dialog that gets shown on a keypress
that allows easy switching of the current run config would help a lot already
imo.

bye
--
Milian Wolff