Will be speaking about KDevelop at LinuxCon Japan 2012

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Apr 20 09:42:46 UTC 2012

On Friday 20 April 2012 14:13:04 Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> Hi KDevers,
>
> I'm glad to announce that I am going to give a 1 hour talk (most
> likely 45 minutes + 10 minutes questions) at LinuxCon Japan 2012 (June
> 6-8th) about kernel hacking using KDevelop:
>
> https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon-japan/courbot

Woha this is awesome news!

> The talk will be mainly about why KDevelop is so overlooked an IDE,
> what current kernel browsing solutions are lacking, what makes
> KDevelop so great for kernel hacking (smart parser, git integration,
> quick navigation, ...), and my own effort to improve things through
> patches filled with gotos and the kdev-kernel plugin (which integrates
> kernel configuration and building and tunes the parser for best
> results). I'd like to demonstrate most of these live, then expect to
> be burnt alive at the end of the session by the Church of Emacs
> followers.

Heh, I like your humor :)

> Despite this I think it's a good opportunity to broaden KDevelop's
> audience (which once again is really, really overlooked outside of the
> KDE community) and maybe convince a few people to invest some time in
> making it even better. There is a little more than one month during
> the conference, and I will try to take advantage of this to implement
> a few extra things in kdev-kernel and fix as much of the parser errors
> as possible. If some of you have suggestions about things I should
> talk about, please express them!

Hmm things that need to be mentioned... always a big issue for me as well when
I did a talk on KDevelop. There is simply so much!

Imo you have a nice hook, i.e. kernel development - try to put in all the
little things that make you productive when using KDevelop. QuickOpen, context
browsing, semantic highlighting, ... The list should contain things you
personally use such that you can easily talk about them, imo.

Other tools that come to my mind would be snippets that are quite nifty in
some situations (also known from lots of other editors). And of course the
Kate VI-Mode for all the VIM users in the crowd :)

Then, if you have time, I would appreciate it if you could take the time to
quickly explain the attending developers that it's relatively easy to hack
KDevelop. It's mostly modular plugins after all... Tell them that we are open
to any contributions (even if I slack quite much and review requests always
need some time). You could also stress that we are *not* opposed to a
designated C language plugin (opposed to a C++ one with C99/C11 extensions) -
but that this would need someone to work on it.

Cheers

PS: If you need any help in preparation or such, just hit us up! Many thanks
for doing this, much appreciated!
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de