Will be speaking about KDevelop at LinuxCon Japan 2012

Alexandre Courbot gnurou at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 05:13:04 UTC 2012

Hi KDevers,

I'm glad to announce that I am going to give a 1 hour talk (most
likely 45 minutes + 10 minutes questions) at LinuxCon Japan 2012 (June
6-8th) about kernel hacking using KDevelop:

https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon-japan/courbot

The talk will be mainly about why KDevelop is so overlooked an IDE,
what current kernel browsing solutions are lacking, what makes
KDevelop so great for kernel hacking (smart parser, git integration,
quick navigation, ...), and my own effort to improve things through
patches filled with gotos and the kdev-kernel plugin (which integrates
kernel configuration and building and tunes the parser for best
results). I'd like to demonstrate most of these live, then expect to
be burnt alive at the end of the session by the Church of Emacs
followers.

Despite this I think it's a good opportunity to broaden KDevelop's
audience (which once again is really, really overlooked outside of the
KDE community) and maybe convince a few people to invest some time in
making it even better. There is a little more than one month during
the conference, and I will try to take advantage of this to implement
a few extra things in kdev-kernel and fix as much of the parser errors
as possible. If some of you have suggestions about things I should
talk about, please express them!

Alex.