source formatting: what is supposed to be automatic now?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon Nov 28 11:21:52 UTC 2011

On Monday 28 November 2011 11:37:06 David Nolden wrote:
> 2011/11/28 Vladimir Prus <ghost at cs.msu.su>:
> > So, you suggest I somehow add those files locally, and keep them locally,
> > and remember
> > to copy them over whenever I work on new branch/tree/checkout? Seems very
> > hard to get
> > right.
>
> A simple "git ignore format_sources" should do.
>
> > How comes that in Emacs, I can say "for everything under ~/Work/GDB, just
> > use gnu style",
> > and it's not possible in KDevelop, which presumably should be more
> > piece of
> > software?
>
> You can say that, you just need to write a simple file with some
> wildcards. At least the file _can_ be copied-over easily, unlike
> random GUI options in eclipse or emacs. Btw. nobody forces you to use
> this.

This is true of course.

Personally though, I find it not very usable yet though. It would be really
cool if we could get a proper UI for configuring uncrustify. Otherwise our
formatting settings dialog simply makes no sense, as the preview will not work
at all. I bet that people using KDevelop will compare the script formatter
with the astyle formatter, see that the latter is much easier to configure and
use that. Most people won't know uncrustify or know that it is much more
powerful than astyle...

Anyhow, this is not directly related to your work so far. Now that the
original settings are restored, I'm perfectly fine with the current status. I
just hope that we continue to improve your work, to make it useable for a
broader audience. After all I completely agree with you, that we must find a
good solution to the formatting mess.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff