source formatting: what is supposed to be automatic now?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Nov 28 11:23:35 UTC 2011

On 28.11.11 11:37:06, David Nolden wrote:
> 2011/11/28 Vladimir Prus <ghost at cs.msu.su>:
> > How comes that in Emacs, I can say "for everything under ~/Work/GDB, just
> > use gnu style",
> > and it's not possible in KDevelop, which presumably should be more advanced
> > piece of
> > software?
>
> You can say that, you just need to write a simple file with some
> wildcards. At least the file _can_ be copied-over easily, unlike
> random GUI options in eclipse or emacs. Btw. nobody forces you to use
> this.

I doubt one does this via a GUI in Emacs, since Emacs has no such thing
as a GUI. And it surely stores the settings in a plain-text file as
well, just that this file is not cluttering up the actual source tree.
Same applies to Eclipse, except that one uses a GUI to set up the
plain-text formatting options.