Cpp Parser & multibyte chars (bug 274430)

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sun Nov 20 22:20:15 UTC 2011

On Sunday 20 November 2011 22:22:12 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 20.11.11 21:24:38, Milian Wolff wrote:
> > On Sunday 20 November 2011 19:36:08 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Also you're talking about 'rarely
> > > more than 1 mb per file', but the parser usually reads tons of files and
> > > IIRC kdev is rather bad at freeing up space it has acquired at some
> > > point.
> >
> > Woot? I'm not aware of any memory leaks? My KDevelop instance which I got
> > running for the last ~4h with lots of projects only uses ~120MB of RAM. So
> > what do you mean?
>
> I did not use the word leak on purpose. I was purely thinking about the
> intial parsing of projects which often takes up quite a lot of memory
> which is not freed up until kdevelop is closed again. I'm well aware
> that this is at least to a good part due to the way the duchain works,
> but even if that only increases by a fourth or so that might already
> make things quite worse for some people.

If at all that is due to memory fragmentization which should not occur in this
context as the QString data will be put into consecutive memory segments as
far as I know. Freeing that up should also make the space available
immediately. I still don't see how this would be an issue here.

Anyhow, this discussion is rather moot imo. Someone should try it out if we
don't find a better solution and see whether it acutally is so bad as you make
it sound like...

bye
--
Milian Wolff