On showing the working set tooltip when switching documents

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 28 09:03:56 UTC 2010

2010/9/26 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> On 26.09.10 04:45:04, David Nolden wrote:
>> Also, I think this is better than the CTRL+Tab UI, because it uses a common
>> UI for multiple things, and increases discoverability of working sets. I
>> think CTRL+Tab should also use the same UI, or be simply removed as it's
>> redundant now.
>
> Thats completely wrong. You're trying to force workingsets on people that
> don't need or want them. If you want that I suggest to fork KDevelop and
> make your own IDE that forces stuff on people. One of the great things in
> KDevelop as opposed to other IDE's/editors I'm using is that it doesn't
> force stuff on me. There's usually two ways of achieving something and it
> doesn't put big fat Ui's into my way if it doesn't need to.

Blah blah. This has nothing to do with working-sets, but with seeing a
list of currently open documents, that's all. It is stupid to have
such document-lists look different depending on occassion, and also
the "CTRL+Tab" list is ugly, and of reduced usefulnes. It doesn't show
the project or sub-path the file is part of, it appears in random
locations, it doesn't have a border. Of course one could hide elements
of the widget that are not relevant in the context.

I have reverted the change now.

Regarding a fork, yes that's not such a bad idea after all. There's
quite a few things that annoy me on KDevelop (one of which is your
permanent nagging, but there's even worse things).