On showing the working set tooltip when switching documents

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue Sep 28 09:45:31 UTC 2010

David Nolden, 28.09.2010:
> 2010/9/26 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> > On 26.09.10 04:45:04, David Nolden wrote:
> >> Also, I think this is better than the CTRL+Tab UI, because it uses a
> >> common UI for multiple things, and increases discoverability of working
> >> sets. I think CTRL+Tab should also use the same UI, or be simply
> >> removed as it's redundant now.
> >
> > Thats completely wrong. You're trying to force workingsets on people that
> > don't need or want them. If you want that I suggest to fork KDevelop and
> > make your own IDE that forces stuff on people. One of the great things in
> > KDevelop as opposed to other IDE's/editors I'm using is that it doesn't
> > force stuff on me. There's usually two ways of achieving something and it
> > doesn't put big fat Ui's into my way if it doesn't need to.
>
> Blah blah. This has nothing to do with working-sets, but with seeing a
> list of currently open documents, that's all. It is stupid to have
> such document-lists look different depending on occassion, and also
> the "CTRL+Tab" list is ugly, and of reduced usefulnes.

It is a totally different usecase. CTRL + Tab is sorted by "last access",
while the other one should be based on the order of files in the tabbar (imo).

Regarding the "ugly": Since I expect a list to open up when I press that
shortcut, it could reuse the UI of the working sets tooltip if you prefer.
What I didn't like about the "show tooltip on SHIFT + ALT + <- | ->" was that
it showed a tooltip where I didn#t need nor expected one. I.e. it should not
be shown when there is a tabbar.

> It doesn't show
> the project or sub-path the file is part of,

yes, and most of the time this is not required. If you need it, we could
always add it.

> it appears in random
> locations,

it always shows in the middle of the kdevelop window, no?

> it doesn't have a border. Of course one could hide elements
> of the widget that are not relevant in the context.
>
> I have reverted the change now.

Thanks, but why not follow aleix's proposal to just not show it when the
tabbar is visible? Or at least by making it smaller (scrollbar when too many
(10+?) docs are open). And prevent the case where the tooltip wont hide when
the mouse was below it by accident.

> Regarding a fork, yes that's not such a bad idea after all. There's
> quite a few things that annoy me on KDevelop (one of which is your
> permanent nagging, but there's even worse things).

*sigh* I hope both of you just jested here. And to cite Andreas: Who codes
decides. Since he isn't coding anymore David, you are in the place to decide
:P

Anyways, I would welcome it if you could stay on board (there are e.g. a few
bugs that I'd need your help with).

Bye

--
Milian Wolff