On showing the working set tooltip when switching documents

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sun Sep 26 14:44:16 UTC 2010

On Sunday 26 September 2010 15:26:35 Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Sunday 26 September 2010 10:15:22 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 26.09.10 04:45:04, David Nolden wrote:
> > > The nice thing about the delay is that you can always move your mouse
> > > into the tooltip and start using it by mouse, this makes working-sets
> > > more discoverable.
> > >
> > > However the basic idea was also to let it pop away as soon as the
> > > modifiers are released, this would just need some more ugly
> > > event-filtering once again.
> > >
> > > Also, I think this is better than the CTRL+Tab UI, because it uses a
> > > common UI for multiple things, and increases discoverability of working
> > > sets. I think CTRL+Tab should also use the same UI, or be simply
> > > removed as it's redundant now.
> >
> > Thats completely wrong. You're trying to force workingsets on people that
> > don't need or want them. If you want that I suggest to fork KDevelop and
> > make your own IDE that forces stuff on people. One of the great things in
> > KDevelop as opposed to other IDE's/editors I'm using is that it doesn't
> > force stuff on me. There's usually two ways of achieving something and it
> > doesn't put big fat Ui's into my way if it doesn't need to.
>
> While I wouldn't express my feelings that harshly, I agree. CTRL + Tab has
> a completely different order of documents for one thing, and it's as slim
> as possible.
>
> And if I use some shortcut to do one thing, where does your idea come from
> that I'd suddenly want to use the mouse to put it into the suddenly
> appearing tooltip to do something different?
>
> Really, this sucks so much. Can't you just add additional actions for your
> workingsets (something which is needed since long time, e.g. "create new",
> "close current", ...).

Another huge annoyance: The tooltip grows without limits, if I have lots of
documents open (I do have that) the tooltip covers half my screen. Since it
won't close when my mouse happens to be over that, I end up with the tooltip
in my face just because I hit a shortcut and have to use the mouse to *hide*
it.

Really, this has to be removed again.
--
Milian Wolff