On showing the working set tooltip when switching documents

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sun Sep 26 13:26:35 UTC 2010

On Sunday 26 September 2010 10:15:22 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 26.09.10 04:45:04, David Nolden wrote:
> > The nice thing about the delay is that you can always move your mouse
> > into the tooltip and start using it by mouse, this makes working-sets
> > more discoverable.
> >
> > However the basic idea was also to let it pop away as soon as the
> > modifiers are released, this would just need some more ugly
> > event-filtering once again.
> >
> > Also, I think this is better than the CTRL+Tab UI, because it uses a
> > common UI for multiple things, and increases discoverability of working
> > sets. I think CTRL+Tab should also use the same UI, or be simply removed
> > as it's redundant now.
>
> Thats completely wrong. You're trying to force workingsets on people that
> don't need or want them. If you want that I suggest to fork KDevelop and
> make your own IDE that forces stuff on people. One of the great things in
> KDevelop as opposed to other IDE's/editors I'm using is that it doesn't
> force stuff on me. There's usually two ways of achieving something and it
> doesn't put big fat Ui's into my way if it doesn't need to.

While I wouldn't express my feelings that harshly, I agree. CTRL + Tab has a
completely different order of documents for one thing, and it's as slim as
possible.

And if I use some shortcut to do one thing, where does your idea come from
that I'd suddenly want to use the mouse to put it into the suddenly appearing
tooltip to do something different?

Really, this sucks so much. Can't you just add additional actions for your
workingsets (something which is needed since long time, e.g. "create new",
"close current", ...).

bye
--
Milian Wolff