Double tooltips

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed Sep 8 11:23:11 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 08 September 2010 00:18:11 David Nolden wrote:

> The code is ment to stack the tooltips, eg. it should be like this:
>
> /---------------------------------
> |                                 |
> | Debug Tooltip            |
> |                                 |
> /----------------------------------
> |                                 |
> | Code Tooltip              |
> |                                 |
> |---------------------------------
>
> But it doesn't seem to work, is probably an easy fix (in
> activetooltip.cpp i guess).
>
> To fix the "annoyance" problem, we could allow the user to hide
> specific tooltips when there is multiple, by adding a "close window"
> like button to their top-right. Then we could remember this per-area.
> We could allow to re-show the tooltip, by adding a little "plus"
> button at the bottom-right as well when there is hidden tooltips.
>
> So:
>
> /---------------------------------
> |                              X |
> | Debug Tooltip            |
> |                                 |
> /----------------------------------
> |                              X |
> | Code Tooltip              |
> |                                 |
> |---------------------------------
>
> And if he hides the code tooltip through the button:
>
> /---------------------------------
> |                                 |
> | Debug Tooltip            |
> |                             +  |
> /----------------------------------

It seems to me in general, showing two tooltips is way to much for a
tooltop -- which is supposed to be small and light thing. And those
hiding/showing individual tooltips is even more complicated.

> I think it would be nice if it would work like this. However I'm not
> going to implement it in the close future, as I have other goals atm.

So, given that the current behaviour of showing two overlapping tooltips
is clearly not acceptable, do you mind if I go and implement my plan,
thereby stopping the context tooltip from showing in debug area?

Thanks,
Volodya