Double tooltips

Konstantin Karganov karganov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 12:10:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Vladimir Prus <ghost at cs.msu.su> wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 September 2010 00:18:11 David Nolden wrote:
>
>> The code is ment to stack the tooltips, eg. it should be like this:
>>
>> /---------------------------------
>> |                                 |
>> | Debug Tooltip            |
>> |                                 |
>> /----------------------------------
>> |                                 |
>> | Code Tooltip              |
>> |                                 |
>> |---------------------------------
>>
>> But it doesn't seem to work, is probably an easy fix (in
>> activetooltip.cpp i guess).
>>
>> To fix the "annoyance" problem, we could allow the user to hide
>> specific tooltips when there is multiple, by adding a "close window"
>> like button to their top-right. Then we could remember this per-area.
>> We could allow to re-show the tooltip, by adding a little "plus"
>> button at the bottom-right as well when there is hidden tooltips.
>>
>> So:
>>
>> /---------------------------------
>> |                              X |
>> | Debug Tooltip            |
>> |                                 |
>> /----------------------------------
>> |                              X |
>> | Code Tooltip              |
>> |                                 |
>> |---------------------------------
>>
>> And if he hides the code tooltip through the button:
>>
>> /---------------------------------
>> |                                 |
>> | Debug Tooltip            |
>> |                             +  |
>> /----------------------------------
>
> It seems to me in general, showing two tooltips is way to much for a
> tooltop -- which is supposed to be small and light thing. And those
> hiding/showing individual tooltips is even more complicated.
>
>> I think it would be nice if it would work like this. However I'm not
>> going to implement it in the close future, as I have other goals atm.
>
> So, given that the current behaviour of showing two overlapping tooltips
> is clearly not acceptable, do you mind if I go and implement my plan,
> thereby stopping the context tooltip from showing in debug area?
>
> Thanks,
> Volodya
>
> --

I agree with Vladimir, and suggest that many other KDevelop features
should behave differently in debug mode.

Some examples:

- in debug the debug tooltip should be shown, not both of them.

- in debug the hotkeys should behave as in debugger, but not like it
is done now when you press <F10> to step (aha, menu says you that step
is done by F10) and instead of stepping you get some message about
that your keys mapping in ambiguous and it is not clear what do you
mean by pressing F10 during debugging. The same is for other debug
shortcuts. This is a very basic feature and should work by default,
without special tuning around.

- clicking on a left margin by default should set up a breakpoint if
the debug session is active. Currently by default it gets bookmark,
which no one ever needs when debugging.

- starting a debug session should bring up a debug toolbar, providing
easy access to control the program (stepping etc), I didn't notice
anything like that in Kdev4...

--
Best regards,
Konstantin.