Git Support ready-ness

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 2 15:41:41 UTC 2010

2010/9/2 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> On 02.09.10 16:45:49, David Nolden wrote:
>> The new version of the git support doesn't work any more on my machine.
>>
>> The problem:
>> "git diff ABSOLUTE_PATH" doesn't work (might depend on my git version
>> 1.5.4.3). The plugin should use the git root directory as
>> working-directory instead, and use relative paths when calling git.
>
> I don't have any such ancient git around, but for me git diff absolute-path
> works as long as cwd is _somewhere_ in the git-repository. It won't work
> when cwd is outside of the repo, I've already told Aleix that when he
> recently did that change, but apparently he either overlooked, didn't get
> around to fixing it or just ignored me :)
>
>> Noone else has noticed this problem?
>
> I guess nobody uses ancient git versions 1.7 is current. And I last tested
> when the above mentioned changed hasn't been done yet...

Well, some don't have a choice, and this git-version is part of one of
the oldest still-supported LTS Ubuntu release. In professional
environments  the OS is not updated every half year..

Anyway it seems like the git plugin is completely incompatible with
this version, for example the "--porcelain" in "git status
--porcelain" isn't supported. We should define what exact git versions
the plugin works with, and prevent the usage of the plugin for all
other versions.

Also I've been able to trigger some assertions, which should never
happen in a plugin that works together with possibly-changing
command-line tools. Before this plugin can be release, I think all
assertions that are related to git output should be replaced by
warnings (for example Q_ASSERT(ret && job->status() ==
VcsJob::JobSucceeded && etc.)

I've also converted the git plugin to use relative paths everywhere,
I'm sending the patch, no clue if it's maybe useful with some newer
but not-perfectly-new git version or something like that.

Greetings, David