dreaming...

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Tue May 18 20:15:10 UTC 2010

Hi all,

A question, and I'll try to keep it short. It is about a VERY immature
funding *idea*. No expectations please...

The idea is that we do have a dream - make development easy.

It is about connecting some dots: GHNS/KNX, the OBS, Opendesktop.org
and KDevelop/Plasmate. I think ya'll know what I mean.

Example: user works with KWrite, sees an bug, clicks for example the
'help' menu, chooses 'develop this app' and 5 minutes later the
sources are automatically downloaded from svn/git, -devel packages
installed and he/she is looking at the source file of KWrite in
KDevelop. Once the fix has been made, click on 'send for review', and
it's posted on review board. Or published on KDE-apps.org, where
packages for a dozen distributions are compiled automatically by OBS
(including feedback on build errors).

Similar story with Plasmate - see plasmoid, like, click 'edit'
somewhere, it gets downloaded from GHNX/KNX, you code, and click
upload to share it (in case of C++, OBS again comes in to compile it).

Now this is all lovely, and we have most of the infrastructure, but
the dots still need to be connected. Doesn't that sound like something
beautiful to have funding for? Yep, it does. However, potential
investors will want to know how expensive it would be and how much
time it would cost. Yes, even if you just trow around wild ideas like
I just did it helps a lot to have (raw) numbers. And as I'm neither a
developer nor expert in any of the technologies I mentioned, I can't
give even the vaguest clue as to how much time/effort this would cost.

So for the two scenario's above, who can throw a thumb in the air and
guestimate the number of man-weeks/months or say "3 guys/girls, 6
months" or something? And, also important, do we have the people to do
it, are there developers here who would be willing and capable?

Again, I don't have much hope for funding, but it never hurts to try...