Git repositories created and how to work with them

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Tue May 4 08:25:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 09:54, David Nolden <zwabel at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure whether that workflow is efficient.
>
> Fact is: I will always use master. When I notice a bug in master, then
> it is natural to first fix it in master, and then decide whether the
> fix is also required in the stable branch, and eventually backport it.
>
> Also it will _always_ be problematic to backport patches between
> different versions (stable and master), what might be a bug-fix in one
> branch, might cause even worse bugs in the other branch, so I'm not
> sure if it's a good idea to make the porting semi-automatic (like the
> "every sunday merge everything" rule). It would be better if the exact
> person who does the fix also puts some thinking into the issue to
> decide whether/how it should be ported between the branches.
That depends on how old the stable branch is. Currently it works
without any problems - but in a few month the situation might be different.
The issue I see is that when I run master, spot a bug there and fix it
in the stable branch I haven't fixed it immideately in master - it takes
up to a week to get the fix merged.

> And about buildability: The problem is that we have a dependency
> between kdevplatform and kdevelop. Usually a specific version of
> kdevelop is buildable and runnable only with one specific version of
> kdevplatform, which makes "git bisect" very problematic, and makes it
> hard to find a buildable configuration. The solution to this would be
> putting kdevplatform and kdevelop into the same repository, so they
> can be changed within one commit.
hmm, true.
but having it in one repo is just wrong.