Git repositories created and how to work with them

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Tue May 4 07:54:07 UTC 2010

I'm not sure whether that workflow is efficient.

Fact is: I will always use master. When I notice a bug in master, then
it is natural to first fix it in master, and then decide whether the
fix is also required in the stable branch, and eventually backport it.

Also it will _always_ be problematic to backport patches between
different versions (stable and master), what might be a bug-fix in one
branch, might cause even worse bugs in the other branch, so I'm not
sure if it's a good idea to make the porting semi-automatic (like the
"every sunday merge everything" rule). It would be better if the exact
person who does the fix also puts some thinking into the issue to
decide whether/how it should be ported between the branches.

And about buildability: The problem is that we have a dependency
between kdevplatform and kdevelop. Usually a specific version of
kdevelop is buildable and runnable only with one specific version of
kdevplatform, which makes "git bisect" very problematic, and makes it
hard to find a buildable configuration. The solution to this would be
putting kdevplatform and kdevelop into the same repository, so they
can be changed within one commit.

Greetings, David