new import wizard, discussing vcs interfaces

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sat May 1 23:24:47 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 01.05.10 17:24:52, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > As a first iteration I thought it would be a good improvement to provide
> VCS
> > checkout capability, for now I tried to add a first page for checking out
> in
> > case we want to import the project remotely, that's the UI VCS plugins
> are
> > providing:
>
> I find Eclipse way of doing this very good, it allows you to setup a
> browser for a remote repository and then browse it and select any part of
> it to "checkout as project". What I don't like about this is that its
> hidden quite a bit (you need to add the cvs/svn/git repo browser view and
> then fill it), so having it available as widget and re-using it in a wizard
> to "Checkout project from CVS/Svn/Git/.." would be nice.
>
> > http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/kdevelop_import_git.png
> > http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/kdevelop_import_svn1.png
> >
> > I guess that here the problem is that since it's some interface that
> wasn't
> > used we're just getting untested stuff. (Note that's what we get when we
> > call IBasicVersionControl::createImportMetadataWidget). That unveils me
> some
> > doubts on the API which I hope that someone (named apaku? :D).
>
> This is actually an import wizard, not a checkout-wizard. Import means that
> some directory+files are being _imported into a VCS_ at some location.
> Thats why its part of the new-project-wizard, it automatically imports the
> generated project into a VCS and then automatically checks out from the VCS
> into the location that you specified. This is not intended to be used to
> checkout an existing project from a VCS and thats something not only you
> got wrong. However I don't think there's any way to "fix" that
> misconception, except by providing a way to checkout-project-from-vcs
> (probably as part of the open/import wizard) and documenting both ways
> properly in a documentation-wiki and showing the differences there.
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> Celebrate Hannibal Day this year.  Take an elephant to lunch.
>
> --

Oh I see, so we need a new interface, don't we?

We could consider this interface to be a VcsLocation creator, maybe we can
reuse that somewhere else later. This interface could have a navigation view
too, if the plugin provides it we're going to get it. (I don't really think
it's necessary to abstract the operations to do so because it's KIO in the
end).
A base implementation with just a KUrlRequester would be good too I guess.

Sounds good?

Aleix