new import wizard, discussing vcs interfaces

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun May 2 17:48:50 UTC 2010

On 02.05.10 01:24:47, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > On 01.05.10 17:24:52, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > > As a first iteration I thought it would be a good improvement to provide
> > VCS
> > > checkout capability, for now I tried to add a first page for checking out
> > in
> > > case we want to import the project remotely, that's the UI VCS plugins
> > are
> > > providing:
> >
> > I find Eclipse way of doing this very good, it allows you to setup a
> > browser for a remote repository and then browse it and select any part of
> > it to "checkout as project". What I don't like about this is that its
> > hidden quite a bit (you need to add the cvs/svn/git repo browser view and
> > then fill it), so having it available as widget and re-using it in a wizard
> > to "Checkout project from CVS/Svn/Git/.." would be nice.
> >
> > > http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/kdevelop_import_git.png
> > > http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/kdevelop_import_svn1.png
> > >
> > > I guess that here the problem is that since it's some interface that
> > wasn't
> > > used we're just getting untested stuff. (Note that's what we get when we
> > > call IBasicVersionControl::createImportMetadataWidget). That unveils me
> > some
> > > doubts on the API which I hope that someone (named apaku? :D).
> >
> > This is actually an import wizard, not a checkout-wizard. Import means that
> > some directory+files are being _imported into a VCS_ at some location.
> > Thats why its part of the new-project-wizard, it automatically imports the
> > generated project into a VCS and then automatically checks out from the VCS
> > into the location that you specified. This is not intended to be used to
> > checkout an existing project from a VCS and thats something not only you
> > got wrong. However I don't think there's any way to "fix" that
> > misconception, except by providing a way to checkout-project-from-vcs
> > (probably as part of the open/import wizard) and documenting both ways
> > properly in a documentation-wiki and showing the differences there.
>
> Oh I see, so we need a new interface, don't we?

Rather a new method on an existing interface IMHO to get a similar
widget (i.e sharing some of the code) that allows to select a repository
location and specify a place on disk where to put the checkout (or
clone). Thats if you want to have some kind of wizard for checking out a
project from a vcs, which will certainly be easier than implementing a
repository browser (as I don't think any of the vcs plugins implement
the repo-browser interface currently).

> We could consider this interface to be a VcsLocation creator, maybe we can
> reuse that somewhere else later. This interface could have a navigation view
> too, if the plugin provides it we're going to get it. (I don't really think
> it's necessary to abstract the operations to do so because it's KIO in the
> end).

Uhm, KIO?? I don't understand how kio gets into all this.

Try to relax and enjoy the crisis.
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant