new import wizard, discussing vcs interfaces

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat May 1 16:44:35 UTC 2010

On 01.05.10 17:24:52, Aleix Pol wrote:
> As a first iteration I thought it would be a good improvement to provide VCS
> checkout capability, for now I tried to add a first page for checking out in
> case we want to import the project remotely, that's the UI VCS plugins are
> providing:

I find Eclipse way of doing this very good, it allows you to setup a
browser for a remote repository and then browse it and select any part of
it to "checkout as project". What I don't like about this is that its
hidden quite a bit (you need to add the cvs/svn/git repo browser view and
then fill it), so having it available as widget and re-using it in a wizard
to "Checkout project from CVS/Svn/Git/.." would be nice.

> http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/kdevelop_import_git.png
> http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/kdevelop_import_svn1.png
>
> I guess that here the problem is that since it's some interface that wasn't
> used we're just getting untested stuff. (Note that's what we get when we
> call IBasicVersionControl::createImportMetadataWidget). That unveils me some
> doubts on the API which I hope that someone (named apaku? :D).

This is actually an import wizard, not a checkout-wizard. Import means that
some directory+files are being _imported into a VCS_ at some location.
Thats why its part of the new-project-wizard, it automatically imports the
generated project into a VCS and then automatically checks out from the VCS
into the location that you specified. This is not intended to be used to
checkout an existing project from a VCS and thats something not only you
got wrong. However I don't think there's any way to "fix" that
misconception, except by providing a way to checkout-project-from-vcs
(probably as part of the open/import wizard) and documenting both ways
properly in a documentation-wiki and showing the differences there.

Celebrate Hannibal Day this year.  Take an elephant to lunch.