How to get the Project Dashboard right

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sat May 1 17:13:25 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 01.05.10 17:34:57, David Nolden wrote:
> > One thing about plasma: it is simply the wrong tool for this tasks. Other
> > approaches for re-using plasma for similar things imo failed completely
> (see
> > amarok), and ended up emulating a completely normal widgets+tabs
> interface.
> >
> > Plasma is optimized for allowing the user to build his own
> user-interface,
> > and the only place where this seems appropriate is the desktop.
> >
> > To me the right tool for this job seems to be a simple qwebview. Create
> the
> > layout using html, allow themeing it through css, and if required you can
> > even embed custom widgets to display whatever stuff you like.
>
> Just a quick note (I haven't yet looked into the original mails yet):
>
> I don't like having plasma as dependency for kdevelop, its relatively big,
> I'm not quite sure how good it works cross-platform and I think it looks
> alien anywhere except on the desktop (well actually even there).
>
> But IMHO its a better alternative than an html-view. HTML is simply the
> wrong tool here for a dashboard, it takes much more work to do the same
> with HTML that you can do with plasma. And having a used a really good
> HTML-dashboard, complete configurability is one of the key features. That
> includes moving widgets around and also disabling/enabling them as well as
> configuring their content.
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> You may worry about your hair-do today, but tomorrow much peanut butter
> will
> be sold.
>
> --

Plasma is in kdelibs so it's not much of a big dependency. It's being
stripped down to fit mobile devices so with KDevelop it should be just fine.

Also I could try to make it not look like a stranger, I can't do (good)
artwork but I can try my best and, anyway, this would be a problem with any
kind of approach we take.

For the moment I'd like to delay a little the decision until the plasma
people get back to me with our requirements fullfilled (about 10 days
according to them).

Aleix