How to get the Project Dashboard right

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Sat May 1 17:34:02 UTC 2010

Looking at amarok though, its kind of configurability for the context view
is still annoying, and that despite the huge amount of work they've put into
the plasma integration.

The good thing about html is also that we can relatively easily use the same
design for the project dashboard, the welcome page and the website. The
projects might even re-use parts of their webpage right in the dashboard.

I've seen some of the code for the old context view in amarok 1.x, it used
html, and it was dead easy (also see the navigation widget).

If you want to use plasma, i guess you can spend half of the soc adapting
the plasma configuration interface to our purposes. And yes, it's a quite
"fat" dependency, given that kdevelop is not a classical desktop-bound
application, and won't be used only by kde-users.

Greetings, David

Am 01.05.2010 18:55 schrieb "Andreas Pakulat" <apaku at gmx.de>:

On 01.05.10 17:34:57, David Nolden wrote:
> One thing about plasma: it is simply the wrong tool for ...
Just a quick note (I haven't yet looked into the original mails yet):

I don't like having plasma as dependency for kdevelop, its relatively big,
I'm not quite sure how good it works cross-platform and I think it looks
alien anywhere except on the desktop (well actually even there).

But IMHO its a better alternative than an html-view. HTML is simply the
wrong tool here for a dashboard, it takes much more work to do the same
with HTML that you can do with plasma. And having a used a really good
HTML-dashboard, complete configurability is one of the key features. That
includes moving widgets around and also disabling/enabling them as well as
configuring their content.

You may worry about your hair-do today, but tomorrow much peanut butter will
be sold.